McIntosh Racing
Login myCart
March 29 2024 [New Zealand] 
Home   Blog   Company   Catalogue   Gallery   Forum   Tech docs   Members   Contact  

Forum

Messageboard Home    Newest Topics    Newest Posts    | Register Me
Index / Help needed
By Message
(read 14395 times) New Topic Reply Topic
Steve Ledsham
(read times)
I need some guidance on setting the float chamber height on a 1960 30M.

Also is the set-up different for the earlier type than that for the later weir type?

Michael Anderson
(read times)
There is a "target" ring on the inboard side of the GP carburetors that you can identify as a shallow groove machined on the end of a hex fitting. The fuel level in the float chamber is normally set to the bottom of the ring. This can be done easily by temporarily installing a short piece of clear fuel line in place of the one that feeds the carburetor from the float and using it as a sight gauge to view the fuel level as you adjust the float chamber height. This should work for any type of float system.

Steve Ledsham
(read times)
Thanks very much.

Previously I had guessed the fuel height by estimating the required fuel level in the carburretor and working backwards.

This resulted in a fuel height approx 1/16 lower than the method described - with all the running problems.

I have another problem also fuel related - Exiting a bend after a longish overrun usually after a long straight, the engine will not repond when the throttle is opened? Then after about four or five seconds is picks up again.

I know that this is fuel starvation but cannot work out what is causing it.

Float chamber is earlier bottom entry type (wrong for this year), fuel tap bore is 1/4", fuel line bore is 5/16, a new float chamber rubber mount is also fitted. I have made a "u" bend in 1/4" bore copper pipe which connects the bottom of the float chamber to the bottom of the carburretor via 2x 1 1/2" flexible tubes, this is limit the float chamber movement.

Any ideas ?

Go to:    

© 2005 copyright McIntosh Racing
website design : www.somethingwild.co.nz